• 049

  • Catholic Secondary School banner 2012

  • Supporting Parents – Access and Affordability

    Catholic education is strongly committed to the principles of social justice and the dignity of the human person.  Catholic schools make it a priority, therefore, to create an environment in which all parents and families feel welcomed, valued and supported.

    In particular, every effort is made to support and empower students with additional learning needs.

    Support is available for students newly arrived in Australia or for families who are more comfortable communicating in a language other than English.

    For families experiencing financial difficulties this section provides a number of opportunities for assistance.

    Government Support

    Schoolkids Bonus

    The Australian Government Schoolkids Bonus provides a guaranteed up-front payment to support families eligible for Family Tax Benefit Part A with the costs of their children’s education. Currently this support equates to $410 payment for every primary school child and $820 for every secondary school-aged child.

    Note: Legislation has passed to end the Schoolkids Bonus payments. The final instalment will be paid in July 2016. 

    For more information, see www.dss.gov.au/our-responsibilities/families-and-children/benefits-payments/schoolkids-bonus and www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/schoolkids-bonus.

    Camps, Sports and Excursions Fund

    The Victorian Government's Camps, Sports and Excursions Fund (CSEF) commenced in 2015 for four years and will provide payments for eligible students to attend camps, sports and excursions.

    Families holding a valid means-tested concession card or temporary foster parents are eligible to apply. $125 per year is paid for eligible primary school students, with $225 per year paid for eligible secondary school students. A special consideration eligibility category also exists. Payments are made directly to the school and are tied to the student.

    CSEF applications open from term one 2016.

    For more information, see www.education.vic.gov.au/about/programs/health/Pages/csef.aspx.

    Youth Allowance

    Students aged 16 years and over may be eligible for financial assistance through the Youth Allowance scheme.

    For more information, see www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/youth-allowance.  


    In country areas and some outer metropolitan areas, students who reside 4.8km or more from their nearest Catholic school may be eligible for transport support. In locations where there is not enough demand to run free school bus transport, the Victorian Government provides a conveyance allowance to help with travel costs.

    For more information, first contact your child's school. If further information is required, see www.education.vic.gov.au/school/principals/spag/safety/pages/conveyance.aspx or http://ptv.vic.gov.au/getting-around/school-buses.

    Public Transport Concession

    In Victoria, all students aged 17 and under can automatically travel on public transport at a concession rate. All students are eligible for a statewide Public Transport Victoria (PTV) Student Concession Card which is required for purchasing a student transport pass.

    For more information see http://ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/concessions/students.

    School-based Support


    If you have any concerns regarding payment of school fees or charges, you are encouraged to discuss these at any time with the principal of your child's school. Where appropriate you will be able to make alternative arrangements to pay the fees. It is not helpful to ignore notices of request for payment.

    Interpreting and Translating Services

    All schools are able to provide access to interpreting and translating services free of charge. Parents of students from non-English speaking backgrounds may request schools to provide interpreters for parent-teacher interviews and information sessions. Schools are also able to use the service to translate school notices.


    Some of our schools offer scholarships for prospective students and those already attending their schools. You may contact your child's school for more information.


    Your child's school determines the uniform to be worn by all students. In addition, a sports uniform will usually be required. In some schools parents can buy new or second-hand uniforms through a school uniform shop. You may contact your child's school for more information.

    Textbooks and equipment

    Some textbooks, stationery and equipment will be provided by the school and a charge levied to the parent. Each student will be given a list of textbooks and equipment required. Many schools assist parents to buy and sell second-hand books. You may contact your child's school for more information.