• learning_2
  • Frequently Asked Questions

    Pastoral Care

    It has been suggested that my child may be suspended and/or my child’s behaviour may require a transfer to another school. What are my rights and responsibilities? 

    Catholic Education Melbourne's Policy 2.26 Pastoral Care of Students in Catholic Schools describes the action taken within a school by its leaders and community members to promote and enhance student wellbeing. Key areas covered in the policy include safe and supportive learning environments, management of critical incidents, student behaviour management.

    Catholic Education Melbourne Guidelines for Student Behaviour Management present guiding principles, expectations and recommended procedures for developing and implementing behaviour management policies and procedures.

    Catholic Education Melbourne is committed to the philosophy and principles of Restorative Justice and consistent with the Gospel teachings of Jesus guides and supports schools to repair and restore relationships where harm may have occurred.


    My child is being bullied at school. What action can I take? 

    Catholic Education Melbourne is committed to working in partnership with parents and the broader community to provide a safe and supportive school environment for all students.

    If you are concerned about an incident that has occurred at you child’s school please contact the principal of the school to discuss the matter. Catholic Education Melbourne and the school is committed to working in partnership with you to determine what the most appropriate course of action may be to respond to and resolve the situation.

    Catholic Education Melbourne Policy 2.26 Pastoral Care of Students in Catholic Schools 

    Some websites links for parents to gather information about bullying are:

    Drug Education

    I am worried that my child may be exposed to and/or experimenting with drugs. What can I do? 

    All Catholic schools are required to develop a drug education policy and are required to adhere to National and State Government accountabilities and legislation in this area. They are supported in this work by senior program officers from the Department of Education and Training (DET).

    Teachers and leaders in Catholic schools also undertake professional learning and training related to drug education and the promotion of safe behaviours. Schools are required to ensure that drug education is included in curriculum teaching and learning programs and integrated through a whole school approach which focuses on health and wellbeing issues.

    In the case of a specific health concern that as a parent you may have you are advised to seek the assistance of your local General Practitioner. If you have a more general enquiry or request for information then it is advisable to contact the school to make an appointment to discuss these matters.

    Catholic Education Melbourne Policy 2.13 Drug Issues in Catholic Schools 


    I am concerned about my child’s computer and mobile phone use. What can I do? 

    The Australian Government provides a website with comprehensive information and advice related to the responsible and safe use of the internet and other technologies. In particular there is a section designed for parents seeking advice and guidance in relation to their children’s access to and use of the internet, and related technologies.

    The following websites are provided for your information and assistance:

    In addition schools are advised to develop policy and procedures for the implementation of cybersafe practices across the school community.

    Please feel welcome to discuss your concerns with the principal.


    I am concerned about how my child will cope with their new school. Is there something I can do? 

    For school aged children and young people, the most significant transitions occur when they start school, move from primary to secondary school and on to post school life. All schools have transition practices and processes designed to ensure that students experience a safe and supportive transition from kindergarten to primary school or primary to secondary school and beyond.

    Parents play an important role in supporting successful transitions for their children. Schools work to ensure that the transition experience is positive and responds to the diversity of needs that students and families may have at this important time.

    Some of the key principles of transition are:

    • ensuring that information is available for the child(ren) and young people making the transition about where they are going, what information is known about the location and what they are likely to experience there
    • successful transitions either rapid or slow, require preparation through discussion, school visits and time to adjust to change
    • talking to other parents can be a useful source of information and handy tips
    • ensuring that choices are available about retaining connections with previous school.

    Parents are advised to contact their child’s school or kindergarten to discuss particular concerns you may have and to ensure that the school has all the information they need to support the transition into school and subsequent successful schooling experience.

    Grief and Loss

    My family has recently experienced a significant loss and I am worried about the impact this may have on my child. What support can the school provide? 

    If necessary the school can assist you and your family to seek specialised counselling services that deal specifically with grief and loss and/or provide specific support through the Seasons Grief and Loss Program which is conducted at some schools.

    The local parish and church community may also be able to provide support to you and your family at this difficult time.

    The following website and phone lines are provided for your information and assistance:

    Australian Centre for Grief and Bereavement
    Kids Helpline 1800 551 800
    Parentline 13 22 89
    Griefline 03 9935 7444

    Referral for Counselling/Psychological Services

    Where can I get help for counselling and/or psychological service? 

    A referral can be sought through a visit to your local general practitioner or the school may be able to assist you with a referral to a relevant service and/or agency to seek specific counselling and/or psychological services.

    Some schools have their own counsellor/psychologist and you may be able to access these services if requested.

    Contacting Key People in Schools to Make Appointments

    When I want to see someone at the school about my child what should I do? 

    It is always advisable to telephone to make an appointment to see the relevant school personnel. This will also enable you to clarify your purpose and if necessary to make notes of the key issues and concerns that you wish to discuss and/or clarify.